Canon 537 of the Code of Canon Law requires the establishment of a Finance Council in each parish. Regulated by universal law as well as by norms issued by the Diocesan
Bishop, the Council assists in the administration of the temporal affairs of parish by offering counsel and guidance to the Pastor and Parish Pastoral Council. Members are selected by the Pastor and serve for five-year terms (renewable once).
The Council’s membership must include individuals who have knowledge and expertise in the areas of accounting, business, administration, law, and financial management. In so far as possible, the membership of the Council should reflect the parish population in terms of gender, age, race and cultural background.
In addition, members must:
• be fully initiated Roman Catholics in good standing with the Church;
• be registered and supporting members of the parish;
• be participants in parish life and worship;
• be committed to prayer, study, listening and dialogue;
• be committed to giving the time needed for participation;
• be aware of and comply with the parish by-laws;
• be aware of and comply with the Parish Conflict of Interest Policy.